Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Double Knife Boy gets it in the End!

Joseph, from the time he could walk would grab knives out of the dishwasher and pretend to fight with them. He always had to be carrying two around. We called him Double Knife boy. Mom had to be extra vigilant to keep the steak knives away and only allow him butter knives.We were flirting with disaster to get this quick picture. Even so, women looked at me like I was crazy, allowing my child to walk around with butter knives. He has long since gotten over this and only fights with swords, now! But the other day he finally got it in the end! Literally!

Mom had opened up the dishwasher and pulled out the bottom drawer for the kids to put the dishes away. Joseph scooted a stool next to the dishwasher to get up and get a cup (instead of using one of the clean ones in the dishwasher.) Somehow he slipped and fell, impaling himself on two knives! During our entire ER stay and even later at home, Robert argued with me about how I shouldn't have pulled out the knives. He is a very by the book First Aid kind of guy and I apparently am the worst ER nurse known to man! Why is it that we never trust the ones we know the best? Anyway, after looking at the wound, I knew I had to bring him in and get about 3 stitches. That is indeed how many he got. The one knife was barely in his skin, but the other went an inch deep. They were afraid he may bleed too much internally so we had to check him several times that night.
Before I left I grabbed a whole bag of stuff and called Rob to tell him we were on our way up to base. He called about 20 minutes later wondering where I was. I had just left, because it takes a while to get together entertainment, treats, and fix ones hair in preparation for an ER visit. I am no dummy. I know what ER waits are like. Much to my amazement we were the only ones in the waiting room when we arrived and they got us right back and had him sewn up in no time. He enjoyed being able to play his gameboy on a school night, but didn't like the whole numbing process, too much. Loved the green Popsicle they gave him afterward, but not trying to walk. Tried to get out of school today, but Mom would have none of it. He made me promise to tell the teacher not to tell anyone he had stitches in his rear-end. Of all the places he could have been impaled, I am so thankful we were blessed with that spot! Anywhere else and it could have had some serious consequences! He really is quite the trooper!
And so ends the saga of Double Knife boy, who got it in the end! One regret- we didn't leave the knives in place long enough to get a proper picture! Hee hee!

5 comments:

The Johnsons said...

Oh my goodness girl, that picture just gave me the willies, not a fan of blood. What kids will do!! Glad he is ok

Anonymous said...

I can't believe he let you take pictures of his rear for all of cyber world to see. Those may be the pictures he will most not want his new best girlfriend to see at age 17. Mom

Princess and A BYU Fan said...

Oh his poor little bum. I'm glad he's ok though. Nice work ER mom!

Cook said...

That you all were calm enough to worry about hair and snacks says much about your medical knowledge and how you deal with pressure. Good Work! I hope he doesn't have nightmares about dishwashers now :)

Kendra said...

You are super mom! I am still laughing about the last line...ahhh the photos missed. Poor kid. Sorry about the knife mishap. It is a good reminder for the rest of us to be extra careful...even around dishwashers.