Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A Start of Something New








I decided to start a blog. I have been viewing a couple of other blogs off and on for about a year and finally decided I wanted to learn how to do it. When I asked my husband to look at it this is what he sent me back:






OK,
Your profile has been viewed twice, by me. (It looks good - by the way you are great at everything you do!!)
You know that time constraints require you to narrow your hobbies. How many are you up to now????
Let's see - to start from the top you should be giving at least these minimum amounts of time to each/week, and then my unsolicited assessment of each:

Rob (One on One time) = 14 hours (2 hours a day) - not even close on this one.
Children = 28 hours (4 hours a day, I went ahead and included soccer practice, shopping and house work) - perhaps getting this one done.
Sleep = 56 hours (8 hours a day) - with work I bet you are missing this one, now.
Family Group time = 3.5 hours (1/2 hour each day, i.e. playing, reading, family home evening) - perhaps close.
Spiritual/Church = 6.5 hours (3 hours for church, 1/2 hour each day for personal study i.e. prayer, scriptures, meditation, temple, relief society, visiting teaching, personal progress, primary, etc.) - oh you put this time in and sometimes much more.
Physical = 7.25 hours (2 hours for marathon and 45 min/day for daily exercise, weightlifting, aerobics, soccer practice, etc. ) - I believe you are missing some of your personal physical time.
Social time = 3 hours (I simply cut Physical and Spiritual in half to give friends this time). I believe you are getting this done.
Mental growth = 3.5 hours (1/2 hour each day) - you seem to be off and on with this one.
Work = 15 hours (that is with travel time included) - you are committed to this one, like it or not.
Personal time = 3.5 hours (1/2 each day) - we all need this time, are you getting it?
There are 168 hours in each week. Let's count down shall we?
168 Total Weekly hours:
-14 Rob
-28 Children/Family chores
-56 Sleep
-3.5 Family time
-6.5 Spiritual
-7.25 Physical
-3 Social
-3.5 Mental
-15 Work
3.5 Personal
= 27.75
That leaves you 27 hours and 45 minutes to do all your other hobbies, i.e. TV watching, scrap booking, blogging, card club, wall covering, needle point, etc. It looks like you can do it, but be careful not to cut into the minimums of the above.
PS since my work jumps from 15 hours to 40 hours I only have 2.75 hobby hours. That is why I have nooooo hobbies. :(
Love, Me

My handsome husband the Engineer through and through!




One thing I found while I was blogging (e.i. wasting time) was someone who decided on having a word of the year. I have decided on a word for at least the rest of this year. The word is Balance.









I loved the talk by Elder Dallin H. Oaks in General Conference this past October about finding what was good, better, and best for you and your family. We are stretched pretty thin and the one thing we need to find is a little bit of balance in our lives. We have been criticizied a few times for a couple of things we don't have time to do and therefore don't. These people think that these things are better or best, and maybe they are for their family, but not for ours. We have to stand firm and we have to reevaluate all the time to make sure that what we are doing is best. I know there are probably a few things I could cut out or cut down on so that I could spend more time with my kids. It all needs to be balanced well or it will come tumbling down somewhere. That's why the rest of the year at least I am focusing on Balance!





2 comments:

David Kress said...

Sheesh with a time schedule like that who has time for blogs

And I even had to sign up for a google blogger account..

So, when's this marathon?

David

The Monkeys said...

The marathon is this coming Saturday, Stan's wedding, November 10th. Wish us luck!