Monday, December 8, 2008

Diverting Santa Questions


Things heard lately:
Child: Aren't Santa and St. Nicholas the same thing?
Me: Of course not. (Of course they are, but we aren't saying so!)
Child: But I thought they were
Me: Nope. (note: no other explanation! More would just get you into trouble)
Child: Why doesn't he come to everyone.
Me: He only comes to people that believe in him. Our next door neighbors don't believe in Santa, because they are Jewish. St. Nicholas is the same. He is mostly a German guy, but we brought him back from Germany, so he has to come to us too.

Joseph: Mom is Santa Claus real?
Me: What? (Fiend deafness!)
Joseph: I said, "Do you know if Santa Claus is real?
Me: Yes. (again, do not expand on the Yes. Child #2 and 3 have no idea that you are answering the question of whether you know if he is real or not, but think you are answering the ultimate question!)

Sam: Mom is Santa Claus real?
Me: What do you mean? (Darn, no way to get out of that one!)
From here, I can't remember how the conversation went, but it ended up with something I could answer truthfully without giving any real valuable information out! Lucky me!!

And by the way, I am going to have to check out that nursery. #4 has started saying "Dern- it!" a lot lately. And today he came out with "What the Heck?" I don't know who is teaching my child these kinds of things, but 3 is a little young to be cursing already, don't you think? LOL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Santa is part of the wonderful and fun way we celebrate Christmas. We all make it a real celebration of a very special birthday by this traditional practice. That was always my answer to my children's questions about Santa Claus and all things related. I also read them the True Story of Santa Claus that related he complete life story. It was not my mother's answer however who went to great lengths to maintain belief. I was very hurt when I learned my parents were actually buying those present and not being truthful to me. My answer seemed to be truthful without distroying the fun. Of course all children no matter their age were required to participate in the Santa Claus game at our house. Mom

Princess and A BYU Fan said...

I bet "Dern-it" is so much cuter coming out of a 3 year olds mouth though. Great job averting the questions!