Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!

I have given the kids little gifts each day this week as we approached Valentine's day. I would do something for them, then write a little note on a heart and leave it with the gift on their beds. This was today's gift. It was suppose to inspire them to do nice things for each other, also. I even taught a Family Home Evening lesson on it. Uh- right! So Mom did stuff each day, but no one else did. I know, Mom and Dad, you got frustrated to with your lessons that seemed to go nowhere!

You remember that story you heard growing up of the Dad who kept getting these valentines from his little daughter and finally one day he finds her crying and she tells him that no one has been giving her valentines back. So the Dad feels awful- but I keep thinking, why wasn't the Mom doing something for the little girl? And why didn't she mention to Dad that he should be doing something to. Anyways, He goes and makes her a ton and puts it into her little envelope she has made for everyone. Well, even though I knew that story, I became that Dad a few years ago. My 2nd, Samuel, wrote little valentines for everyone and hid them all over the place. He had such a hard time keeping it a secret and not telling you to look a certain place. I thought these were so cute and loved reading them. Then one day, he comes to me and says, "mommy, don't you want to make a valentines for me?" Oh, wow, I felt about as small as a dust mite. How could any Mom feel worse. I told him that of course I did and went about making him a bunch and hiding them all over the place. Anyway, I just didn't want that to happen this year and besides it was fun! It totally stressed Rob out, though. He finally started to scream. "What do you want? What do you want? I am in a no win situation here now, aren't I?" He was sure that he could never live up to my expectations of Valentine's day after all I was doing for the kids. I didn't do a whole lot for him, but he didn't notice. In the end he bought me flowers, a spice rack and a big, nice salad bowl to try and "live up to my expectations." Unfortunately, he trained me too well. I did nothing for him, except get him a little chocolate heart. I believe Valentine's day is made up by the card, flower and candy companies. Ok, I guess, if you want to be honest all our American holidays have been totally commercialized and we have to see past that!
I had Sam bring last years, not used valentines to school. He didn't notice and hey I was not wasting valuable paper, right. Points for me for thinking about the environment! Emma gave all of her friends, this:We got this trading card idea from Candice Stringham who does photo things for Creating Keepsakes. I think they turned out really well!
Hope you all had a great Valentine's!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the valentine's pictures and now I know where you get all your creative ideas off other people's blogs. The kids at school loved the silly pen you sent. It is now on my clip board and I use it for everything. Thank you And happy valentine's day Mom

Anonymous said...

Will you be mine?

P.S. I got that off of a rare and ancient heirloom (priceless), but then I ate it. :)