Thursday, January 3, 2008

Word for the Year

The other day I read Natalie's comment about me having to be a great baker and what a lucky family I had and I remember the other day one of my friends telling me that I was the best Homemaker. It is so weird, because growing up I was such a tomboy and didn't have a creative bone in my body. I liked things clean- as far as I can remember I aways have. Mess/clutter makes me irritated after a little while. But as far as cooking or crafting- totally not my thing. I also hated babysitting and was definitely not good at it. I would put them to bed as soon as possible and never played with them. I just watched shows on TV while they did what they wanted- as long as it was safe. I can't believe people paid me to do that. I ate their food, too! Ah, the shame! Anyway, I came across this quote on the Everything Pink blog- I really think it is just something her bishop told her, but it makes so much sense.

"Don't be fooled into thinking your life is not turning out just the way you want it to"

I never thought I would be a wonderful homemaker, but I am trying my best for my family and for my own self improvement. Also, I love traditions and many of the things I bake or do that is fun is for traditions sake.
I also never wanted to be a nurse when I grew up- way too girly of a profession. Now I am an ER nurse and I love it. I think one of my saving graces is that I am so curious about everything and I love to learn something new all the time.
Life may throw you a few curve balls, but don't be fooled that it's not all turning out just the way you want it to. This leads me to my word for the year. I found this on a couple of blogs- don't know who started just using one word to help them through the year, but they don't use any other goals. I will make my yearly goals, still, but I liked the one word concept, too. This year, I think I want to focus on Flexibility. First of all the obvious. I am so unflexible, now. I used to compete in gymnastics- you would never guess now, though. The other is more of a mental flexibility. I am flexible when it comes to last minute things and changing schedules and so forth, but I am not good at thinking outside of the box. When I think something should be one way, it is hard to change that picture. I have started already. I always thought my daughter would go into gymnastics, like I did. She started out really well and was invited to team when she was 6, but she got bored really quick and ended up loving soccer. Just the other day we started my son into gymnastics, because he taught himself to do a back handspring and has almost got a back tuck on his own, too. He does them while we are watching TV. It drives us crazy. My husband finally told me to put him in a class, because he had never seen anyone so intent on jumping and turning and flipping. So now my ideas of a gymnast daughter and a football playing son are completely upside down. Weird how that happens!
Also, I have noticed at the end of this year that I have done some quick judging of people and later found out the whole truth and felt really bad. Part of that mental flexibility will be to give people the benefit of the doubt. I will be as flexible as Sponge Bob- He always has a positive attitude and doesn't take offense easily. He is another thing I didn't like at first. We wouldn't let our kids watch Sponge Bob at all, but after we saw one all the way through, we liked it. He is usually positive and there is almost always a good message at the end.
Obviously my values are not flexible, but there are so many things that can be, including me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad rob
let Sam go into gymnatics. The teachers are just going to do the dance of joy when they see this strong very male little boy do his tricks. Is he signed up at your old school or are there much better places now?

The Monkeys said...

There is a gym closer to us that he goes to. Of course Rob is rethinking now and argued all night against it. It's pretty expensive stuff, as you know. And he thinks we are over scheduling the kids and ourselves. We'll see what comes of it.